Friday, April 15, 2011

New York City

I had to be in New York this week for work. Luckily, I was traveling with a friend/co-worker Deborah. We decided to go a couple of days early to get some sightseeing in. I've never been to NYC (never thought I'd really care for it much). Turns out, I really liked it! I'd definitely go back...hopefully with Jason next time! He was a good man to stay home and be Mr. Dad for 6 days/5 nights......not that he had much of a choice..ha.
Pics will probably be out of order for the way we did things, as some were from cell phone and some were camera...nonetheless, here's our trip!


The weather was usually in the 50's-60's and windy, but there was one day of around 80 degrees. It did rain a couple of days, but they were days we were having to work, so it worked out well!


This is where the twin towers were. It's just a large construction site now. We toured a little museum next door that showed what the memorial will look like when it's completed. It was a very sombering experience.



Night One: Times Square

Now this is a place to people watch!

We took a water taxi tour one day. It was a great way to see some of the sites without having to actually go to them (for example: The Statue of Liberty....I wanted to see her, but really didn't have a desire to spend half a day to do it). World Financial Center




After the water taxi, we decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. It was completed in the 1800's. You can't help but wonder "is this the day it's going to collapse?" when walking across! I had to google to find out, but it is only a little over 1/4 of a mile long. It sure feels longer than that! It's fairly steep.





At the ice rink - Rockefeller Center

(I've never had my picture made alone so many times! Awkward! But I also wanted proof I was there and not JUST scenery pics!)



We didn't see The Donald. He must have been sleeping. I'm sure had he known we were there, he totally would have come down to see us! Ha. We did visit the Trump Store (in the lobby) and the Starbucks on the 2nd floor.



Fun place!


I think I have a better picture of this, but I just wanted to show how enormous Central Park is (and this is about 1/4 of it). It's HUGE. It is crazy how there are all of these trees and grass and ponds in the middle of such craziness!




We decided to do "Top of the Rock" instead of the Empire State Bldg. Jason's cousin told me she's done both and preferred Top of the Rock. After reviewing some comparisons online, we decided to go with her suggestion and loved it! Absolutely worth the $20 for the tickets. You get a designated time and there are no lines when you return (as opposed to the 2-4 hour lines we heard of for the Empire State Bldg.). PLUS, you get pictures of the Empire State Bldg. in your photographs, which you obviously wouldn't get if you were inside of it!




We were able to see in both day and night. We had to hang out up there for quite a while, but we managed to do it! It's amazing how slowly the sun sets when you are waiting for it to set!


On our last night, we went to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. It was a great show! I've always had a soft spot for Mary, but I think it would be good even if you weren't already a fan!



All in all, we had a great trip (and yes, we managed to work too)!!!


While I had fun, I DESPERATELY missed Olivia and Jason. At least with Jason, I could speak to him and know that he knew I was for sure returning! Ha. I talked to Olivia daily, but I'd cry nearly every time we would hang up the phone! I swear my heart literally hurt! I missed her SO much and am so glad to be home and feel complete again!

No comments:

Post a Comment