So Friday night we put Olivia to bed around 7:00 as usual. While she had a cough that evening, she was acting totally fine. She began to get a little fussy before bed, but I just figured she was tired. Around 9:00pm, Jason and I were watching TV and could hear her breathing funny thru the monitor. We got up to go check on her, and she appeared to be breathing pretty fast and was making a funny noise. It's hard to explain. So I called the answering service and a nurse called us back within a couple of minutes. She listened to Olivia's breathing thru the phone and suggested we go ahead and take her to the ER. Yes, the ER...on a Friday night. Oh, and did I ever mention that we had to go LAST weekend because of a high fever and strange rash??? *sigh*
Back to Friday....So I picked her up to get her ready to go and noticed that she was burning up. Temp check: 104.6. So now I was pretty worried. Not only was she breathing funny, but she had a pretty high fever to go along with it.
Her fever broke during the hours we were at the hospital. They drew blood, which revealed that her white blood count was elevated. So they took urine and did a chest x-ray. Both came back ok. The doctor seemed concerned about her white blood count since she had been on antibiotics for 8 days already (for the strep). They gave her a 24-hour antibiotic shot, which seemed to help as she was doing much better today!!! They were going to do cultures on the blood and urine, so hopefully we'll know more by the end of the week.
We got home at 6am Saturday morning, so needless to say, we were all exhausted! Poor Jason had to go to work at 8:30, so he didn't even get to sleep until after he got home after noon.
Olivia definitely gave the doctors and nurses a fight! She kicked and slapped and hit everytime they came near her! She was NOT a fan! She had blood drawn, a catheter, an x-ray, a huge shot....can't say that I blame her!!
Being back at the Children's Hospital brought back all kinds of memories from when Olivia was admitted at 15 weeks old (you can read about that awful experience HERE). It was definitely much more terrifying when she was so little, but the doctor's concern regarding the white blood cell count definitely concerned me. I just continued to pray (as I did then) that nothing was terribly wrong. I know that everything is in God's hands and that he will take care of my little girl!
I hope everyone gets to feeling better soon! You need her well to sit pretty in the bluebonnets!
ReplyDelete