Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The "Episode"

Monday evening began like any other. I picked up Olivia at daycare and was home at 5:00. Little did I know that around 6:15 I would be calling 911 and by 6:30, we would be in an ambulance on our way to the children's hospital.

I was giving Olivia her bath as usual. She was absolutely normal and smiling at me being silly and singing to her, when all of a sudden her head dropped, eyes closed and she went limp. It had to be the scariest moment of my life. I could not get her to respond to me or open her eyes. I pulled her out and immediately called 911. While I was on the phone, Olivia opened her eyes and started looking around, although she appeared confused or disoriented.

It felt like an eternity before the emergency team showed up, but I know that it was probably less than 2 minutes before the police officer arrived and just a minute or so longer for the firemen. Shortly thereafter, the ambulance showed showed up to take her. Needless to say, our neighbors were definitely out and about in their yards trying to figure out what was going on at our house! (We did have a very nice note on the door from one neighbor hoping our baby was ok and saying they would help with our dogs if needed).

Jason drove up just as the ambulance was leaving with the two of us, so he followed closely behind to the hospital. She slept on the way to the hospital, but know that I didn't take my eyes off of her chest the whole time to make sure she was breathing! I was so paranoid at that point, but of course, she didn't let me down!

During our stay at the hospital, numerous tests were done trying to figure out what could have caused her "episode" (which is what the doctors kept calling it). She had a urinalysis (involved a catheter and lots of crying), bloodwork, an IV, a spinal tap, a CT scan, an EEG and an EKG. POOR, POOR BABY!!! This was not only the scariest night ever, but the most heart-wrenching night as well. She would cry (ok, scream) and look at me with a face full of terror. I could only imagine what was going on in her head (Mommy, why are you letting them do this to me??) Just heartbreaking. Luckily, she recovered from each procedure quickly and was back to her happy self in no time once the procedures were over. Babies must be extremely resilient. I'm not sure I would have held up so well if I had to go thru all of that in one night!

After numerous procedures, 3 doctors, a 2-day hospital stay, and a MILLION tears shed, we don't have any answers. I guess we'll never know what was the cause of this "episode". And that's ok. We're going to leave it in God's hands and know that everything will be just as He intended it to be. A couple of weeks ago, the pastor spoke about anxiety and how if we would all truly believe in the plan God has for us, that no one would have any anxiety. There wouldn't be any need for it. That message really stuck with me and has been playing over and over in my head this week, and I think I'm just going to trust in Him and continue living life and loving on our little Livi Lu (thanks Mom for that nickname...it's apparently sticking even though I don't really care for it and she'll hate me for it)!

Here are a few pictures I took at the hospital (most with my cell). I figure if I am going to document her life, I have to include the bad along with the good.



Watching Deal or No Deal in the ER while waiting on test results. If there is a TV in the room, Olivia WILL find it!

Still watching TV...she fits in well in our household!



There's that TV again!


1 comment:

  1. Tessa

    I've been keeping tabs on you and Olivia through your mom at work. I cannot imagine how horrifying this ordeal was for you and your family. My baby girl is almost 3 months old and my heart just ached as I read everything that happened. I pray that this was just a one time "episode" and that Olivia is safe and healthy. Take care.

    Renesha "Bishop" Chambers

    ReplyDelete