Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Cowtown - My First 5K

I DID IT!  I turn 32 tomorrow and I ran my first official 5K (aka 3.1 miles) today!

I was so nervous about it yesterday.  Even though I've been "training" for it, I haven't REALLY trained for it.  I didn't do any kind of training program.  I pretty much have kept to my usual workouts (boot camp classes, weight training, etc.) and throw in a mile run afterwards.  The last couple of weekends, I made sure to get in at least 3 miles/day....just to know that I was capable.  One day last week I actually did 5 miles.  That was some sort of freak accident! LOL  I was also nervous because I knew we'd be running in temperatures in the 30's....and I train at lunchtime when it's in the 50's-60's.  So my lungs were a little scared!

So, anyway, I'm rambling......

I ran with my friend/co-worker Tari.  This is us before the race.

And here's a picture of me after the race....only semi-sweaty, as it was pretty cold!


When I signed up a couple of months ago, my initial goal was to just run/jog the entire thing.  I just knew I didn't want to walk...at all.  In the recent past, I changed that goal to not only run the entire race but to run it at or under 10:00/mile.

My time:  28 minutes 28 seconds (pace was 9:10/mile).  I exceeded my goal.  Yay!  I was even more exited to find out to find out I finished in the top 14% of all runners (there were over 5,000!) and I finished in the top 6% of all women runners (over 3,000 total)!   I was shocked! 

I think I have found a new hobby obsession.  I absolutely LOVED it.  I loved the entire thing.  The adrenalin.  Running the streets of Fort Worth with over 5,000 other people.  The sense of accomplishment.  Getting up early to do something healthy.  I just loved it all.




I found this shirt yesterday.  The front says "STRENGTH".  The back "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  I got several compliments on it and people asking where I got it.  I will probably be buying more! I bought it in person at a health expo, but you can purchase online at  http://www.316athleticwear.com/

I usually listen to Christian music when I run.  It helps me to keep going. I know I can do all things with Christ.  And today...I DID!

No comments:

Post a Comment