Monday, July 20, 2009

What if?

Today Olivia and I were on our way home from her 6 month check-up, when I noticed a "homeless" man standing at the light. It must be a decent light as Jason and I saw him standing there yesterday as well. He was probably in his 50-60's, bearded, wearing a hat, backpack on the ground, and he had a cane. I was several cars back from him, but locked my doors as I always do. I try to do it before I get too close for them to hear the locks, as I don't want to offend them. Then you sit and avoid eye contact for the entire light, and I often wonder if the person standing with their sign is as uncomfortable as I am.

Back to today...I was sitting at the light and had just opened my sack from Chick-fil-A and ate a couple of their amazingly good waffle fries. I immediately felt so guilty eating when I knew the "homeless" man was probably hungry himself. I had already had lunch around 11:00 and would have dinner eventually, yet I had stopped and gotten a kid's meal to hold me over (for those who don't know, breastfeeding makes you hungry all the time, but I'm still losing weight, so I guess it's ok!). When I got to the light, I held out my sack of food and gave it to him. He said "Oh, thank you so much ma'am".

Now, maybe he is out there just wanting drug money, but what if he's not. What if he lost his job and has been out looking and can't find anything? What if he is truly homeless and has nowhere to go? What if he's a veteran or what if he's just mentally ill? What if he has grand kids he's too embarrassed to see because of his situation? What if......??? Or just maybe he is out there wanting drug money. And if that's the case, then I feel sorry for him still. Do you ever watch Intervention on A&E? It's heartbreaking.

My heart aches for homeless people and people who struggle and don't live what we call "normal" lives. I'll never forget seeing a homeless man one day a few years back, and I told my mom that I think if I had millions, I'd want to work with the homeless. She said I was the most compassionate snob she knew. HA!

Since Olivia can't make a wish for her half-birthday, my wish for her is that everyone quits being so self-centered and selfish, and that we think of others and have compassion for others. Help someone out, whether it be a friend, a neighbor, or the homeless guy on the street by at least providing him a meal. Sometimes I think it's ok to be a bit naive and not think so bad about people. Hey, if it were me or my family standing on the side of the road, I'd want someone to help us out.

1 comment:

  1. that is very very nice. olivia is the cutest baby iv ever seen literaly.

    ReplyDelete